Monday, April 11, 2011

"You Got This MOM!"

"You Got This MOM!"  Those were the words I heard from my youngest daughter, Molly, as I was exhausted from the unseasonable heat in Chicago Sunday at the Shamrock Shuffle.

She will never know just how much that meant to me or how much it encouraged me!

She believed in me...

I had done the training...I had put in the miles...I had put in the time...

For some reason I was doubting myself.  I needed someone to believe in me, only I didn't know that until I heard her voice say those words to me from behind me. 

Molly ran with me the entire way...either a few steps behind me or a few steps ahead of me to help pick up my pace.  Continually looking over her shoulder to find me.  It was of great encouragement and comfort to know she was there.

















When you run, the temperature feels 20 degrees warmer than it actually is after about 20 minutes.  It was about 73 degrees when we started the 8K (about 5 miles)...that translates to about 93 degrees.  It was roughly 88 when we finished...about 108!!!  I was HOT!  I was tired...and on top of that my injured knee was killing me!!  Only I was NOT about to let that stop me.  Especially after I heard my little girl say, "you got this, MOM!".  I had to do it now.  I ran the entire way.  No walking!  NO REGRETS! Thank you, Molly!  I learn so much from you each day.  This day was no exception.

John "the Penguin" Bingham has been a great resource.  My Marathon runner friend, Linda Anderson, recommended his articles (even sent me one before my first 5K) and one of his books.  It is his quote that reminds me of how far I have come.  "The miracle is not that I finished.  The miracle is that I had the courage to start!".

Recently I saw this video.  It brought tears to my eyes.  I am an Olympic fanatic.  I love the competition, I love the spirit, I love the stories, I love the success's.  I am inspired by the dedication, talent, commitment, courage and strength - in victory and defeat.  See if this doesn't move you, too.



Find the courage to start...
"you can do this."

1 comment:

  1. Way to go Deedee. You're an inspiration!!! Glad you had Molly to give you the encouragement to keep going!

    ReplyDelete