Thursday, November 18, 2010

Throwing in the Towel?

I haven't been able to write much this past week.  It in no means should be an indication that there is nothing going on in the Freemire house....There is always something....football games, teens over, homework, jobs, practices, ortho visits, oral surgeon appointments, pending dentist and eye appointments, bills, winterizing the house, getting ready for the Holidays..the list of activities goes on and on...
I make it a priority to run 3-4 times a week.  I know I have to.  I sometimes want to and I am always glad I did afterwards.  Now that the days are shorter and the there is no more "daylight savings", I am running in the dark...I don't mind it, actually.  It's peaceful.  Gives me thinkin time, praying time, reflecting time.

Last night when I was heading out to do 4.5 miles I felt really excited to run.  I was actually looking forward to it.  The entire time I was running I reflected on how far I have come.  I think my story is very similar to many runners who start later in life.  I used to hide in the darkness, I used to stopp running when cars or people approached, and I worried about what others would think of the fat old lady running.

I don't do that any more.  I run because I want to get in shape and lose weight, I run because I want to, and because I want to be strong for my children and grandchildren (one day).  Mackenzie gave me a note the morning of the Chicago Hot Chocolate 5K.  I keep it in my wallet and reread parts of it from time to time.  One section showed me that this running thing isn't all about me.  Here is part of the letter: 

Dear Mom,
"I know you've been looking forward to this for a while.  The time has finally come. Everything you've worked for.  Take a second and think about where you were a year ago....see how much you've done?  Mom, you've done so much and built up so much determination that I don't think a tornado could prevent you from running this race...."
"Mom, I'm sooo proud of you and proud to have you as a mom.  Your setting such a good example for me to never give up even in the toughest times.  I wish I could be there and run this with you and elaborate this with you.  Just know that I'll be thinking about you and praying for you.  You're amazing.  Keep doin whatcha doin.  I love you so much!  So proud and happy for you!  Mackenzie."
I can't tell you how much that impacted me.  But everything good that running has brought into my life started from my humble beginnings.  It all started with those first steps I took one winter night.  Those first 20 seconds of "attempting" to run.  But, without those first 20 seconds I would have stayed right where I was, needing to lose weight and needing to exercise.  So as I ran last night I celebrated the changes....I celebrated the weight I have lost and still have to lose, I celebrated that I had my girls and husband out running and getting in shape, I cebrated the fact that I COULD run for 4.5 miles!  I came home smiling, feeling energized, feeling ALIVE! I thanked God for what He was doing in my life.  I thanked Him for letting me remember what it felt like to run like a child running out in the yard in the summer. 

I challenge any of you who think you can't run.  Just take that first 20 seconds and get off the couch.  I am not sure where I saw this quote, but I like it.  "You can throw in the towel, or use it to wipe the sweat off  your face"....or something like that.  Hey, if I CAN DO THIS YOU CAN!

No comments:

Post a Comment