Saturday, August 7, 2010

Best Friend! - family of Heroes

Heroes - a strong word.  It fits only a few people in my life.  The Zeldenrust family is counted among the few in my life. "Dad", "Mom" (Bob and Joan) Zeldenrust welcomed me into their family from the beginning.  The beginning was 9th grade for me.  Mary, my BFF from high school to today, was a year ahead of me in school.  Laurie and Steve completed the family.  I was welcomed for dinner, sleep overs, vacations in CanCun, weekends at the Cottage in Michigan, and so much more! 

These two special people showed me what a Christian home was and demonstrated Christ-like love to me!
Due to unfortunate circumstances, I did not have my father walk me down the isle when I got married.   Instead, "Dad" Zeldenrust walked me down the isle, all the while making sure I didn't "get down" and fall! 
He was so much a father figure to me!  I felt loved and disciplined from him.  Some of my favorite memories include crazy adventures in CanCun (para sailing, Sandy, Razor Grass, biking to name a few), fun times at the cottage and him letting us drive his Mustang GT BOSS  oh, and Mary and I sneaking out his Corvette!
Mary and I share so many memories and secrets!  We have been through a lot together. We had classes together, went to dances with our dates together, got into mischief together, worked together, shared burdens, hardship, struggle.  We have talked about boyfriends, husbands, children and secrets.  We have laughed and cried together.  We have been "private detectives" security guards, cleaning ladies, waitresses, spies and double dates.  We have stayed up and talked until all hours of the night as teens and adults.  She never judges me, never thinks poorly of me, she always loves me and looks out for me.  She comforts me when I am sad, lifts me up when I am down, advises me when I cannot see my way, rejoices with my successes and encourages me to follow dreams.  I couldn't ask for a better best friend than Mary.  She is so very beautiful on the inside and out.  Laughter is the music we listen to when we are together.  I love so much how we have the same sense of humor and all it takes is a look to know what the other one is thinking.  All it takes is a sentence, an inside joke, a memory to make us laugh so hard we cry!
She is my BEST FRIEND!

I wish we lived closer... we would be shopping, hanging out, exercising, laughing and making memories each time we were together.  However,  I am grateful that we are only about 90 minutes apart.  So now, because our children are older, we are embarking on a new phase of  our friendship. 
We have time now to go to concerts, meet for dinner, meet for shopping, talking on the phone and getting away together, like best friends are supposed to do. I look forward to our girlfriend time and to getaway weekends, travel and more time to laugh and make memories.

Our friendship has withstood the test of time.  It only gets better as we do.  Thank you Mary for sharing your self,  your life, your family with me.  I love you!

No comments:

Post a Comment