Monday, August 2, 2010

I Had a Choice

Twenty years ago today I was working as a Youth Director in Elgin, IL.  I was having a car wash to raise funds for the youth in my youth group to go to Summer Youth Camp.  A young man pulled in with a cool Jeep to get washed.   He inquired about who was in charge.  I was.  A conversation ensued. A number was given.  Two lives were changed.

Just the night before I had gone to Willow Creek's Singles Ministry at the urging of friends.  Although I had met several men that night, I did not have a good feeling about it and went home and wept.  That night I told God that I really wanted to be a wife and mother.  I asked Him to show me that was what HE wanted for me as well.

Back to the car wash...

This rugged man pulls into the youth car wash to get it washed for a blind date that night.  As we talked, he somehow managed to get my number from me, "for a friend who recently moved here with his wife".  As we talked it turns out that his friends just happened to live in the same townhouse complex as I did. He succeeded in getting my number!  That in its self was a miracle!  I didn't think anything would come from this exchange...boy I couldn't have been more wrong.  I couldn't have known then that God was beginning to answer my prayers!


That night, two youth group girls, Heather and Kathy, were spending the night at my house.  Scott called me to meet his friends (his blind date stood him up and he went over to his friends' house, and they convinced him to call me), the girls ran around my room with perfume, hair curlers and clothes to dress me up to go meet him.  I reluctantly went over to meet his friends (and him).  At his friends place they all asked me to go with them to the Wisconsin State Fair two days later.  As I said yes, I wondered what the heck I was doing going out of state with all these people I did not know!!!

So, two days later I found myself at the Wisconsin State Fair with a date and two other people I did not know.  I was treated like a princess and felt like one.  Conversation flowed and I found a compassionate man who had been through many trials and difficulties.  A man who was sensitive and strong.  A man who was a dreamer, a free spirit and adventuresome! A good match for a type A personality, who needed to loosen up!

That first date that lasted about 19 hours!  From that day on we have gone to the fair each year, bringing our children as we had them.  Now they look forward to going each year as we celebrate our meeting and God's plan and purpose for us.  We had a blast as we dated and got to know each other. 







We had some amazing dates...going to New York state to meet Cheri and Kirk, the romantic picnic/date at Ferson Creek Park (the place Scott says he 'fell in love with me on a May day'), Kane County Flea Market, Mini Golfing, Swimming, concerts, Chicago, the Dunes and so many more. 
At just the right time in both of our lives, God had our paths cross.  Now, 20 years after meeting for the first time at the car wash in Elgin we celebrate our love, friendship and journey that God has in store for us. That day 20 years ago I had a lot of choices...do I give him my number? do I go meet his friends? do I go to the Wisconsin State Fair? do I return his phone call for the second date?  do I pursue this relationship?  At each next step I had a choice....any different response would have lead to a much different ending...

3 comments:

  1. You both definitely made a good choice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to go -- and Happy anniversary of sorts ;)

    I agree-- good choice with Mr Scott (and visa versa).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh -- and I like your new background.

    ReplyDelete