Monday, October 4, 2010

Willingness to Risk

I did it!  I ran a 5K!  It wasn't pretty, it wasn't my best run, it wasn't my worst run.  But I did it...I finished (and I wasn't last!)

I am finding that most runners when then started out running were very much like me...I would run under the cover of darkness so no one would see me, I would walk when cars came by cuz I was embarrassed at how I must look 'trying' to run.  Yet I was driven to get in shape, lose weight and get healthy.  I am still working on all of that. But, I am at least on the road that will get me there. 

If I can be honest here, I really didn't think I could do this.  I didn't think I could EVER be a "runner" (or jogger).  But one thing I KNOW is true.  "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13..I am not doing this in my own strength.  I also have so many friends near and far supporting me. I have the love and support of my husband and daughters. 
All week I was checking the list of runners on line for this 5K to see if anyone was going to know me...more like seeing who I was going to embarrass myself in front of.  I really did not want to see anyone I knew.  I just wanted to run anonymously. 

Just as I was signing in I felt a hand on my arm with a friendly voice saying "so your running!?" 
"OH Crap!" I thought, who knew me?  When I looked up I saw a familiar face.  It was Fred Kaiser!  He is the PE teacher at Lundahl Middle School where my girls attended and the guy who started me down this path of running by allowing me to do the 24 Hour Run last May on the Adult Team!  He has a fantastic program at the school that really challenges the students in many ways.  His lessons have gone beyond my girls and have taught me things! 

Four things he teaches through the 24 Hour Run include:  Willingness to Risk, Committed to Integrity, Determined to Stand and Sense of Passion.  To check out more on those please visit, www.physedfred.com and see for yourself! It might even challenge you!
 
 
 
Molly was another great support for me.  She actually encouraged me the most to do the 24 Hour Run.  She was always there to cheer me on and  to encourage me to go running and keep up when I wanted to stop.  




    

There were also two friends who were of great encouragement to me. One from Connecticut and one from Georgia, as well as the husband of a friend who gave me great training tools along the way.

    With so much encouragement and support  I started out to do a 5K.  I had planned on the Hot Chocolate 5K in Chicago on November 6th, being my first one. I later thought a smaller, local one to get my feet wet first would be a good idea.  My goal was just to finish.  But being the competitive person I am, it was then to NOT finish last.... The night before this race I was scared.  Not scared that I wouldn't finish.  Scared that I would be the last one across the finish line.  Scared of embarrassing myself and looking like a fool.  In the end, the greater goal of accomplishing something out of my comfort zone was greater. So I went for it.

 I will tell you that for me, this race was actually MORE than a 5K.  It was stepping out of my comfort zone, it was a willingness to risk.  Risk failure, risk looking like a fool, risk defeat and the negative tapes that play in my head that keep me from doing things.  It was a determination to stand and I definitely developed a Sense of Passion for what I was doing.  When I started out in the race I was participating in something new to me.  Something I never thought would be attached to my name, something that meant I had to risk.  I felt a renewed sense of "I CAN do this!"  "I am doing this".  I lost the feeling of having to finish with my best time.  I just wanted to finish and not give into the desire to quit or give up.  It was more a mental and emotional race for me.  I recognized that this was just the beginning.  I was committing to running a 5K a month for a year.  I could only improve from here on out, right?

I finished.  It wasn't my best time.  I was hurting most of the run (I am embarrassed to admit that I pulled a muscle stretching out that morning).  I hurt a lot after the run was over.  But I was proud of myself.  I did it!!  I finished!!! I wasn't last!! I finished in the second half of runners and I didn't fall!  I didn't fail!!  I beat the negative tapes playing in my head.  The running and the race was used to teach me more about who I am as a daughter of the King.  It showed me in a new way to stop living like an orphan, to stop believing the lies of Satan.  I also found out how many people I had supporting me, loving me, encouraging me and rooting for me.  Each comment, text, phone call, message meant so much to me.  I look forward with renewed anticipation to the Hot Chocolate 5K I am doing with my daughters next month.
What about you? 
What have you done to step out of your comfort zone and risk?  Your story can encourage me and others. 

2 comments:

  1. Nice Post Deedee, you're amazing and an inspiration. I had to chuckle at the part where you used to run in the dark and stop running when a car passed... Yep I can identify with that. I still do it, maybe someday I'll get past all that but for now it's still my comfort zone. You're looking great Deedee I'm happy for your HUGE successes. YOU GO GIRL!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats Deedee! I'm proud of you for the risk taking -- very bold and courageous!

    ReplyDelete