Thursday, July 8, 2010

I had a choice...it made a difference!

Back in January I had a choice...it made a big difference in my life!  I was a walker.  I loved to walk year round.  I was trying to lose weight and nothing was working.  I saw Doctors and had tests. They all told me to get moving!  I WAS MOVING, I thought! I was walking. Then one night I was out and wondered if I could run to the upcoming street light...I could!  I wondered if I could get to the next one...I COULD!  I kept that up until I had done the 2 mile loop by my house!  I was so happy.  I can say that because of the suppot of a  long distance friend, I have kept running!

In May, my daughter, Molly, and one of my long distant friends, were both encouraging me to do a 24 Hour Run Molly was doing at her school. You can check out the specifics at http://www.physedfred.com/ .  Basically, you are on a team and someone is running at all times during the night, in a relay.  You run 1 mile at a time.  You run about every hour and a half to an hour and 45 mins.  I ran a total of 12 miles - one mile at a time over 24 Hours!  I can't tell you how proud of myself I was.  I had a choice, it has made a big difference in my life.

                                         
There were over 200 students from Lundahl Middle School that participated in this.  My other two girls also did this when they were at Lundahl!

I am now being encouraged by two long distance friends to do a 5K. At first I laughed. Now I am in training. I am praying that I will be held accountable and pushed me to do this. My goal is to lose 30 more pounds by October and then do a 5K. I even have several friends and a daughter or two who are going to do it with me!

I will post from time to time about my running.  It's a challenge for me. I don't love it while I am running, but I love how I feel afterwards.  I can tell you the difference in my life that it is making far exceeds the weight loss and muscle toning.  God is at work inside me.  He is changing me in ways I never thought possible.  I am just as excited about what He is doing inside me as the changes going on outside.  I had a choice in January....it made a difference.  I have a choice everyday to run or not...it makes a difference.  I have a choice in how I live my life everyday....it makes a difference.  From how I treat others and myself to my actions, thoughts and deeds. 

2 comments:

  1. AND...you inspired this long distance friend to get moving! I saw what you were doing decided to lace up my shoes and go for it. Training for a 5K. We can keep each other accountable :) THanks for the inspiration. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm proud of you Dee! It's a lot of work -- and determination -- run for me too? OK?

    ReplyDelete