Thursday, September 9, 2010

Bailey update - HALF WAY!

My brave strong girl is half way there!  Wednesday was the 4 week marker!  When I gave her a hug this morning I congratulated her on making it graciously 4 weeks.  I also told her the uphill part of this wired shut journey is over and it will be down hill from here.

I know she will face trials along the way.  I know that just because it is "downhill" from here that it won't all be easy.  In fact, she still has one more surgery to go through!!  At some point those wires up in her skull under her eye sockets and on her cheek bone will have to come out.  At some point those screws in her jaw will have to be unscrewed....YUCK!  We should find out in a week or two when that will happen.

Her face is still swollen in her upper cheek area but the most difficult part is that she still has no feeling in her upper lip and the area directly over the upper lip.  When she smiles it honestly looks like she has some botox that was injected up there.  She hates that.  Last night while talking with her about this,  I was amazed that she still didn't have feeling up there.  Her response was, "Mom, they cut those nerves up there...it's going to take at least 8 weeks for that to come back."  Dang!  When did she get so patient?  I love this kid.  I know I keep saying it, but I am amazed at how she is dealing with it. 

Tonight I plan on taking some pictures of her eating utensils and try to show the process of how she eats.  I also am just about finished with the redo of the family office (I am setting up one for me in the basement!)  I so wish I had more hours in the day.......

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the update Deedee.

    Go Bailey -- recovery is the marathon of the Surgery "Sprint". Way to run the good race!

    Keep focusing on what is ahead -- and being able to have a great bite and greatly reducing the potential jaw issues through her adult years. (easy to say, I know).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep up the good work Bailey! You are doing great!

    ReplyDelete