Monday, September 20, 2010

I Had Company

As I have written about before, I am running a 5K in November and two of my girls are running it with me! We will be doing the Hot Chocolate Run in Chicago. Bailey really (I MEAN REALLY) wants to do it with us. The problem is that she is not allowed to run yet...you can understand, her upper and lower jaws were removed and detached and put back in a different place in her mouth. She is still wired and still healing.



However, being the hard worker and determined young lady that she is, she has decided to "train" in whatever way is appropriate given her circumstances.... Running would jar her jars too much and cause potential damage. Biking, is, after all, low impact and safe.
I want you to think about this, though... due to her mouth being wired shut, her primary breathing is done through her nose. When you exercise, workout, exert yourself, you most likely breath through your mouth! She kept up with me pretty good. I generally ride about 15 - 17 mph. I took it down to 11-13 mph for her sake and she was having some trouble breathing. The air was cool and she said that the cold air kinda irritated her nose breathing.


So, we did 11 miles together...I have to admit that I kept turning my head around to be sure that she was doing OK. Again, another handicap of her wires is that the volume of her voice is pretty low. Try it. Try talking loudly with your mouth shut and your jaws together. Not much as far as volume. I knew I wouldn't be able to hear her if she yelled because she was having trouble. But, I kept my eyes on her and we developed some sign language.

All was good. She put in a good workout. I had some company and could show someone my route. It's fun to show someone where I go on my biking adventures. She admitted later that she was pretty busy looking at all the scenery around the lake and through the trails that she forgot she was working out...that's what I like about my route. And now the leaves are hinting at turning colors....its gonna be a pretty fall ride!

Once again, my Bailey showed another dimension to her strength and commitment! On Wednesday she will have only 2 more weeks! Can you believe it has gone so fast?


No comments:

Post a Comment